EYEBROW HACK | How to Tint Your Eyebrows at Home FOR CHEAP!
How to Dye Your Eyebrows
Changing the color of your eyebrows can really impact your look--contrasting brows can give you a bold, mysterious air; darker brows can look fuller and thicker, and brows that are similar to your hair color can give you a natural and balanced look. While dyeing your brows is a fairly simple process, using dye on the sensitive skin around your eyes, and so close to your eyes, can be somewhat dangerous. Make sure you follow all instructions very carefully and, when in doubt, visit a professional!
Choosing the Right Dye
Avoid using permanent hair dye.The dye that is formulated for use on your scalp is going to be way too harsh on the skin around your eyes. You may damage the fragile skin around your eyes or even singe your brows off. Hair dye is also incredibly damaging to your eyes if it gets in them.
- Look for beard dyes,semi-permanent hair dyes, or demi-permanent eyebrow dyes instead.
- Beard dyes often come in a wide variety of neutral tones and are designed to dye fine hairs, like the ones in your eyebrows.
Go a shade darker to add definition and make brows appear fuller.Darkening the hair will refine the shape of your brow and can make your brows look thicker and fuller--perfect for anyone with sparse or very light eyebrows.You can try dyeing your brows 2 shades darker if you want to up the drama of your look.
- Try not to go drastically darker than your natural shade--your brows can look inky and fake and your natural roots will be obvious when new hairs grown in.
- Some beauty experts suggest trying to match the color of your eyebrows to the darkest hairs on your head.
Lighten your brows 1 or 2 shades if you've gone from dark to blonde hair.If you've made a big color change with your hair, your dark brows might look a little harsh. If your brows are black, try dyeing them a dark brown. Again, try not to stray too far from your natural shade so it won't look strange when your roots grow in.
- If you’ve colored your hair red, you can add some warmth to your eyebrows to complement your hair color. For instance, go from dark brown to mahogany.
- Keep in mind that contrasting brows are on-trend right now, so you may want to keep your bold, dark eyebrows for the moment.
Preparing to Dye Your Eyebrows
Be aware of the risks.No dye—even products marketed as eyebrow dye—is FDA approved for use on your eyebrows or eyelashes. You can have an allergic reaction or damage the sensitive skin around your eye. The dyes can cause irritation and, if they get in your eye, can potentially cause blindness.
- If you decide to dye your eyebrows, be very very careful not to get any in your eye. Apply the dye in small amounts so there is less chance it will drip off the applicator and into your eye.
- Keep 2 bottles of sterile eye irrigation solution on-hand to flush out your eye, should you get any dye in it. Irrigate your eye with the entire bottle and, if burning continues, use the entire second bottle.
- Be sure to spot test the dye on your skin (the back of your neck or the inside of your upper arm will work). If your skin doesn't react in the 2 days following the treatment, then you can dye your brows without worrying about a reaction.
Wash your face with facial cleanser or soap.Eyebrow dye should be applied to a clean area. Gently scrub your eyebrows to remove oil and dirt. If your skin or eyebrows are oily, the dye may not work as well.
- Secure your hair back from your face, either by pulling it into a ponytail or using a headband or bobby pins.
- Make sure you remove any makeup as well so you can clearly see the color change.
Outline your brow with a generous amount of petroleum jelly.Use a cotton swab to spread petroleum jelly or a thick conditioner on the skin around your eyebrow (but make sure you don't get anyonyour eyebrows). This will act as a barrier to make sure you don't dye the skin around your brow and help keep the dye out of your eye. It may also reduce skin irritation.
Prepare the eyebrow dye according to the directions on the package.Mixing instructions vary based on the brand of product purchased, but the result is the same. The mixed dye should have the consistency of a thick paste when using it on eyebrows or beards. If the dye is runny or watery, it is not mixed correctly. The pasty composition keeps the dye on your eyebrows without running into your eyes.
- If the dye consists of 2 tubes of product that you mix together, use only about a pea-sized amount of each. You won't need much, and you can save the rest of the dye for touch ups later.
- Make the dye solution right before you plan to use it.
Dyeing Your Eyebrows
Apply the eyebrow dye by spreading a thick layer over your brow.Eyebrow dye kits come with an applicator, but you also can use a cotton swab or a clean spoolie wand. Try building up the dye from the inside half of your eyebrow (the side closest to your nose) and working out toward the thinner end.
- Make sure you work the dye into the roots of your eyebrows and cover the entire eyebrow evenly.
- Cover 1 eyebrow completely, then do the other eyebrow. Make sure that you are only putting the dye on your eyebrows!
- Do you best not to get it on your skin because it will temporarily stain your skin. If you do get some on your skin, immediately rub lotion or petroleum jelly into the dye and wipe it away with a paper towel.
Wait for 3-5 minutes, cleaning up the dye with a pointed cotton swab.Brands usually suggest between 10-15 minutes to dye, but dyeing in smaller minute increments gives you more control over the final color. If you have thick, dark brows, go for 5-minute increments. For thin, light brows, stick to 3-minute increments.
- Use a cotton swab dipped in warm water to wipe off any cream that ended up on your skin and not your hair, or to clean up areas where it appears to be dying your skin. If warm water doesn't work, you can use a little facial tonic to clean it up.
Wipe the dye from your eyebrows with a dry cotton pad.Close your eyes to avoid getting any dye in them. Smooth your brows and inspect the color. If the dye didn't take, repeat the dye process for another 3-5 minutes.
- Don't use the dye more than 2 or 3 times, as you may dry out or damage your skin. Wait 48 hours before dying your brows again if you want to achieve a darker color.
- When you reach the desired shade, remove the dye with a dry cotton pad. Then go over your eyebrow with cotton pad wet with dye stain remover to stop the dyeing process.
- Rinse or wipe your brow with warm water.
Check your eyebrows in the mirror to see if you missed any spots.You may want to use a magnifying mirror so you can easily see your brows. Use a cotton swab dipped in dye to spot-treat anywhere you may have missed.
Tweeze or wax your eyebrows into a desired shape.It is important you don't tweeze before dying your eyebrows, as this can lead to irritation and infection.
Don't stress out if the color isn't exactly what you wanted.Eyebrow dye usually begins to fade after a week so the color won't be as intense.If you can't wait a week, brush a drop of clarifying shampoo through your eyebrows with a clean toothbrush or spoolie. Allow it to sit for 60 seconds, then rinse your brows.The clarifying shampoo will strip the oils and some of the dye off your eyebrows.
- If you notice you have dye on your skin underneath your eyebrows, apply an oil- or silicone-based makeup remover to a cotton pad and gently wipe your brows. If there is dye on your skin it should show up on the cotton pad, and your brows should be toned down about 1 shade once they dry.
- You can also make a paste using a 1:1 ratio of baking soda and your usual shampoo. Apply this to your brows with a clean brush and allow it to sit for several minutes. It may take a few tries, but this should calm the color of your brows.
QuestionWhere can I get eyebrow dyes from?
Beauty ProfessionalBeauty ProfessionalExpert AnswerYou can buy them online from makeup supply stores. Amazon also sells some. However, be aware of the type of dye you are purchasing and make sure it is made specifically for eyebrows.Thanks!
QuestionWhat color should I dye my eyebrows?
Licensed CosmetologistLicensed CosmetologistExpert AnswerGenerally you want to dye them a color that is similar to, but slightly darker than, your natural hair color. Dark brown looks good on most people.Thanks!
QuestionHow do you color gray eyebrows?
Licensed CosmetologistLicensed CosmetologistExpert AnswerYou can use a regular brow kit to dye gray eyebrows, but if it doesn't get them dark enough you may want to try pre-softening. Apply a bit of hydrogen peroxide to the brows, wait 10 minutes, rinse, and then apply the color. This should result in better coverage.Thanks!
QuestionHow can you lighten your eyebrows at home?
Licensed CosmetologistLicensed CosmetologistExpert AnswerYou'll need a brow bleaching kit and some light brow dye or other semi-permanent color. Mix the bleach, apply to brows, wait until they've reached the desired shade, rinse and cleanse, then apply the dye to adjust the tone. Wait until the color is what you want, then rinse again.Thanks!
QuestionHow much does it cost to dye your brows?
Licensed CosmetologistLicensed CosmetologistExpert AnswerIn a salon, a brow coloring service can cost anywhere from five to twenty dollars.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I dye them if my eyebrows are so tiny?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can put tape or stencils around your eyebrow and it will stop the excess dye from around your eyebrow.Thanks!
QuestionHow long will eyebrow dye last?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEyebrow tint is described as semi-permanent dye not because the color fades, but because eyebrow hairs have a very short growth cycle. Eyebrow hairs tend to fall out within 6-8 weeks, taking the tint with them.Thanks!
QuestionWhich eyebrow tint is the best to use, and is eyebrow tinting safe for the skin and eyebrows?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerRefectocil is the best eyebrow tinting and it's very safe for the skin, there is also a peel off eyebrow tint by Etude House.Thanks!
QuestionCan I dye my eyebrows permanently?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can permanently color your eyebrows, but the hair will grow out, and you will have to re- dye them.Thanks!
QuestionIs Matrix dye safe to use on eyebrows?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is generally a very bad idea to use any type of dye for eyebrows other than natural dyes or dyes specifically for your brows. Eyebrow hair is so thin that the hair itself could become damaged and fall out, and contact from dye on direct skin is really not a good idea (especially on the face). Also, there is the danger of getting dye in your eyes (potentially blinding).Thanks!
- Purchase 2 packages of eyebrow dye. Use 1 to perform a skin test. Mix up the batch according to the directions and apply a small amount to either your inner arm or back of your neck. If either area shows sensitivity or results in irritation, you could be allergic or sensitive to the ingredients in that dye and should avoid using it on your eyebrows.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration prohibits hair dye from being used to dye eyebrows due to the risk of blindness. It's safest to use products specifically designed to dye eyebrows.
- Do not leave the eyebrow dye on longer than recommended on the package instructions. This can increase the risk of irritation or result in hair loss.
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
In other languages:
Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Italiano: , Nederlands: , Русский: , Français: , 中文: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , Tiếng Việt:
Video: HOW TO TINT YOUR EYEBROWS AT HOME!! | CHEAP, FAST & SIMPLE!!!
Former Social Capital VCs make their first investment as new fund Tribe Capital
Meet Armpit Tattoos: The Latest Beauty Trend That’s Taking OverInstagram
Why Urban Outfitters Just Became Our New Favorite BeautyStore
These iPhone wallpapers willmake your folders transparent
Here’s Netflix’s Entire Show Schedule For2016
10 Simple Swaps to Save 100 Calories at Breakfast
New website will rate IVF clinics by birth success
Celebrity Hairstyles: Kristin Cavallari Hairstyles
The reason why flaxseeds will lower your blood pressure
How to Throat Sing
16 Hilarious Photos of Dogs That Are Terrible At Hide and Seek
Women In Iran Will Be Reduced To Baby-Making Machines’ If New Laws Are Passed