How To Set Up "Hey Siri" On iPhone
How to Set Up Siri
This wikiHow teaches you how to set up Siri, which is Apple's personal voice assistant. You can use Siri on iPhones and iPads, as well as on an Mac running macOS Sierra or higher.
Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi.In order for Siri to function correctly, your iPhone must be connected to the Internet.
Open your iPhone's Settings.Tap the Settings app icon, which resembles a grey box with gears on it.
Scroll down and tapSiri & Search.This option is near the top of the Settings page.
Tap the grey "Press Home for Siri" switch .It's near the top of the page.
- If this switch is green, Siri is already enabled on your iPhone. Skip this step and the next step.
TapEnable Siriwhen prompted.This is in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen. Doing so will turn on Siri.
Enable "Hey Siri" if you like.Hey Siri is a feature that allows you to open Siri by saying "Hey Siri" near your iPhone. To activate it, do the following:
- Tap the greyListen for "Hey Siri"switch.
- TapContinuewhen prompted.
- Follow the on-screen prompts by saying aloud the specified text.
- TapDonewhen prompted.
Enable Siri on the Lock Screen.If you want to be able to use Siri without having to unlock your iPhone, tap the grey "Allow Siri When Locked" switch.
Change Siri's language.If you want to use Siri in a language other than the one used by your iPhone, tapLanguage, then tap the language you want to use.
- Keep in mind that doing this will disable "Hey Siri". You can re-enable "Hey Siri" by tapping theListen for "Hey Siri"switch and speaking the language you selected for Siri.
Change Siri's voice.You can change both the accent and the gender of Siri's voice by tappingSiri Voice, tapping a nationality under the "ACCENT" heading, and tapping a gender under the "GENDER" heading.
- As of August 2019, Siri supports Australian, British, and American accents by default. If you select a language other than English as your Siri language, Siri may download and switch to that language's accent.
- Siri supports male and female voices.
Select voice feedback options for Siri.TapVoice Feedback, then select one of the following options:
- Always On— Siri will always respond to you with vocal feedback.
- Control with Ring Switch— Siri will use vocal feedback whenever your iPhone isn't set to silent.
- Hands-Free Only— Siri will only use vocal feedback when you're using a hands-free item such as a Bluetooth headset or a car stereo.
Tap the "Back" button.It's in the top-left corner of the screen. Your Siri settings will be saved. At this point, Siri is set up and ready to use; you can activate her by holding down the Home button (or the Side button on an iPhone X), or you can say "Hey Siri" if you turned on the Hey Siri feature.
- If Siri doesn't automatically know who you are, you can tapMy Informationand then tap your name in the Contacts menu to allow her to use your contact information.
Make sure that you're connected to the Internet.Siri requires an Internet connection to function at full capacity.
Open the Apple menu .Click the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen. A drop-down menu will appear.
ClickSystem Preferences….It's in the drop-down menu. Doing so opens the System Preferences window.
Click .This multicolored circle is in the lower section of the System Preferences window.
Check the "Enable Siri" box.It's on the left side of the window. Doing so turns on Siri for your Mac.
- If this box is checked, Siri is already enabled on your Mac.
Select a language.Click the "Language" drop-down box at the top of the window, then click the language that you want Siri to use.
- This is only necessary if you want Siri to use a language that's different than the one you use on your Mac.
Select a voice for Siri.Click the "Siri Voice" drop-down box, then click an accent and gender option in the resulting drop-down menu.
- Depending on the language you choose for Siri and the language your Mac uses, your accent options may vary.
Enable Siri vocal feedback.Click the "On" box to the right of the "Voice Feedback" heading to do so. This will enable Siri's vocal feedback so that, when you ask a question, she speaks aloud her answer.
Change the keyboard shortcut if necessary.The key combination you can use for Siri by default isOption+Space, but you can click the "Keyboard Shortcut" drop-down box and then select your preferred shortcut to change this.
Check the "Show Siri in menu bar" box.It's at the bottom of the right pane of the dialog box. This will place a multicolored Siri icon in the top-right corner of your Mac's screen.
Close the window.Do so by clicking on the red dot in the upper-left corner. Siri is now enabled on your Mac.
Add your contact card to Siri if necessary.If Siri isn't able to find your information, you can select your contact card to find it for her:
- Open the Contacts app from your Mac's Dock.
- Click your contact information (e.g., your name).
- ClickCardin the menu bar, then clickMake This My Cardin the resulting menu.
Activate Siri.Click on the Siri icon, which resembles a multicolored circle on the far-right side of the menu bar, to do so. You can then speak aloud your question or statement for Siri to receive.
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut to activate Siri.
QuestionHow much does Siri cost?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSiri is free to use with any supported iOS device!Thanks!
QuestionWhen I tap on "My Info" in the Siri set up, it just takes me to my contact list. What can I do there? The options at the top of the page are "Groups" or "Cancel."wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFirst of all, you need to have yourself as a contact. Then, fill in as many details as you feel necessary, including phone numbers, emails, birthday etc. After that, go back into the menu and select yourself.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I set up my location in Siri?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGo to Location Services, then activate Siri.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I make Siri use my name?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOpen Siri and say "What's my name?". If Siri doesn't know or mistakenly calls you something other than what you want to be called, you can say "Call Me (Your Name)" to fix this.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I do if Siri does not recognize my voice?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerExit the Settings app and reopen it, then try recording it again. Sometimes Siri can get caught up on small background noises and the like.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I change Siri back to activate only when I hold down the start button?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGo to Settings, then General, then Siri. Turn off "Hey Siri." After this, Siri will only wake up when you hold down the button.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use Siri to answer a call hands free?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, just tell Siri to call the name as it is saved in your contacts, or tell Siri the number. For example, "Call Max" will call 'Max' from your contacts.Thanks!
QuestionCan I set daily reminders to take my medication using Siri on an iPhone 5C?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, you just have to say, "Siri, remind me to take my medication at [whatever time]."Thanks!
Siri is not accessing the internet thru my ethernet cable. She asks to turn on my Wifi. How do I get Siri to use the ethernet cable?
How do I set messenger with Siri?
If I asked Siri to contact me and say "8 PM tonight through" my iPhone, how exactly will she do this?
How do I turn on Siri's voice?
Can I change Siri's name from Siri to something else?
- You can use Siri to send a message or initiate a call for you if you're driving or otherwise occupied.
- You have the option of enabling Siri when setting up a brand-new iPhone or Mac.
- Allowing Siri access on Lock Screen could create security issues.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Português: , Italiano: , Español: , Deutsch: , Français: , 中文: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands:
Video: How to Activate and Use Siri on iPhone
Así es como debes comportarte en una comida de negocios
Whats So Great About Bromance
3. The official sites and social media accounts of your favorite organizations
Could this finally be Andy Murray’s year to win Wimbledon Today’s Debate
Blogger Inspiration: Plan Your Wedding Look Based Off of TheseBeauties
Low-Fat vs. Full-Fat: The Great Dairy Debate
Here’s Netflix’s Entire Show Schedule For2016
How to Wash Your Face Right
How to Encourage Your Child to Sleep in His or Her Own Bed
Hijab Style With Abaya-12 Chic Ways To Wear Abaya With Hijab
Depression, Binge Eating Common in Weight Loss Surgery Patients